Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sach Pass (ed?)

Day 7, October 9 .

Call it excitement or early to bed, I was awake by 4 Am and was standing at the veranda , staring at the road. Almost a hour later a trucker woke up and instead of a 'Good Morning' I greeted him with 'Bhai Chalein'.

Trucker:"Kidhar bhaisahab, kal raat hi ek tipper wapas aayi hai, raat ko kaafi baraf padi hai jot mei. Ab toh kal hi jayenge"
(Where brother, a dumper returned yesterday night, there was heavy snowfall yesterday night. Now we'll leave only tomorrow)

B*****d was the only thing that I uttered with both hands on my head.

A guy who returned yesterday night with the dumper woke up.

"Bhai upar halat kya hai?"
(How are the conditions up in the pass)
"Bahut kharab,pick-up wahin chod mei truck mei aa gaya"
(Very Bad I left my Pick-up there and returned in the truck.)

I kept asking the same question to every other trucker and pick-up guys expecting some positive reply.

By 10:30 the pic-up guy got news from his driver that they had reached Killar last night itself. Before the joy could spread , he dropped a bomb informing that there was heavy snowfall in at the top yesterday late night.Soon four jeeps arrived from Chamba for Pangi. All the vehicles were full,but one was offering me a seat and already had 10 passengers in the car . This was clearly not happening for me.

I was in a state of mental agony. All the truckers ,seeing my condition offered to drop me the next day, they were sure that the pass would open up for the truck by night , but I wasn't. Even though I was touched by this guesture of theirs,I wasn't ready to take a chance with uncertainty. Another jeep for Pangi with 14 passengers arrived and the driver was still offering me a seat. I was really put off by all this and was ready to take the bus to Chamba and then head to Mcleodganj.

Then magic happenend , Rajinikant arrived with his 5 friends on a bolero. I didn't ask for his name , I simply called named him Rajinikant for his driving skills , goggles and cigarette smoking style . He offered the entire back row for myself and assured me that he wont be taking any other passengers. He also offered me a seat only because Rakesh requested. I couldm't thank Rakesh enough for this gesture. bid goodbyes to all the truckers and Rakesh and moved.

And Hell Yes , I was going to cross the Sach Pass ... Really??????

No comments:

Post a Comment